Israeli Forces Kill Four Palestinians
From: "Law Society" firstname.lastname@example.org
August 22, 2001
Israeli forces committed another war crime against Palestinian civilians
late Tuesday and early Wednesday morning when they killed four
Palestinians and wounded three.
According to LAW's documentation, at 11.00 p.m., Tuesday, 23-year-old
Ahed Haniyi from Balata refugee camp went to the bypass road that takes
Israeli forces take to their outpost on Mount Ibal in Nablus and connects
it with the Shafe Shamiron settlement, to plant an explosive device on
the road. Israeli tanks patrolling the road opened fire on him. When
people in nearby Palestinian village of Beit Iba heard the shooting, they
contacted a Red Crescent ambulance, but the ambulance was prevented from
reaching the shooting site.
A number of people from Beit Iba went looking for injured people when the
ambulance was prevented from getting there, and at 2.00 a.m. machinegun
shots were heard. When the shooting stopped, people went to see what
happened. They found three Palestinian men from the village dead. Later
they discovered that Ahed was killed and his body was held by the Israeli
forces, after which they released it and handed it over to Rafidia
hospital at 10.00 a.m. today.
The names of the killed people:
- Ahed Haniyi, 23, shot six times in the face, chest, and legs
- Zahir Ismail, 30, from Beit Iba, shot twice in the chest and left
- Fadi Sama'na, 25, from Beit Iba. He was shot pointblank in the
neck and chest
- Hakam Kibala, 22, from Beit Iba, shot in the chest
The injured are:
- Asad Sama'na, from Beit Iba, shot in the legs
- Khaled Al Asmar, 21, from Balata, shot in the right leg
- Mohammad Yadak, 20, from Kosain, bruised while running from the
Five more people from Beit Iba were admitted to Rafidia hospital for
LAW Society condemns the cruel attacks by the Israeli occupation forces
on Palestinian civilians. LAW also condemns the Israeli policy of
collective punishment and the unjustifiable shooting of Palestinians. LAW
Society urgently calls for the following:
- The Israeli Government to:
- Halt its non-stop aggression against Palestinians, their public
organisations and private property, and put an end to the policy of
killing Palestinian civilians.
- Return its military forces to their pre-28 September 2000 positions.
- Openly investigate the conditions of the killing the four Palestinians
and the other killings committed by Israeli soldiers against Palestinian
civilians in conformity with Article 146 of the 1949 IV Geneva
Convention, which stipulates "the high contracting parties undertake to
enact any legislation necessary to provide effective penal sanctions for
persons committing, or ordering to be committed, any of the grave
breaches, and shall bring such persons, regardless of their nationality,
before its courts."
- The United States of America to:
- Impose restrictions on the export of American weapons to Israel since
it uses them in the commission of grave human rights violations in the
- Halt its advocacy of aggressive Israeli policies in the Occupied
- Fulfil its legal and moral responsibilities in the region.
- The International Security Council to:
- Hold an urgent meeting to discuss Israel's violations in the Occupied
Palestinian Territories in general and in Jerusalem in particular.
- Form an international investigation committee in conformity with
International Security Council resolution #1322 of 7/10/2000 so as to
investigate the crimes committed by the Israeli authorities within the
- Form an international criminal court to bring Israeli war criminals to
- Place Palestinian civilians in the Occupied Territories under
- Force Israel to implement all the resolutions issued by the
International Security Council on the Palestinian issue.
- The European Union to:
- Take effective steps in conformity with Article 2 of the EU-Israel
Association agreement that stipulates Israel's adherence to human rights.
- The International Community to:
- Hold a meeting for the High Contracting Parties to the IV Geneva
Convention to take practical measures to ensure Israel's compliance with
and implementation of the Convention.
- Immediately work on ending the Israeli occupation of Palestinian
Territories and implement the relevant international resolutions.
LAW publications and press releases since 1994 are available on our
website at www.lawsociety.org
LAW - The Palestinian Society for the Protection of Human Rights and the
Environment is a non-governmental organisation dedicated to preserving
human rights through legal advocacy. LAW is affiliate to the
International Commission of Jurists (ICJ), Fédération Internationale des
Ligues de Droits de l'Homme (FIDH), World Organisation Against Torture
(OMCT) and Member of the Euro- Mediterranean Human Rights Network
To sign Al-Awda's petition to terminate US aid to Israel go to: